First Semester-Done.
So now that my first semester of college is coming to a close later tonight, I feel like it would be appropriate for me to reflect a little bit on everything that has happened the past four months.
School-wise: I did a lot better than I expected to. No procrastination (for the most part!) and I'm fairly sure that I'm going to pull out some decent grades. Most of my professors were amazing, very helpful, very knowledgeable. Academically speaking, I have no doubt that I belong here. I fit in well with my classes. I didn't feel obligated to speak up too often but when I did, I made it count.
Friends back home: I know I could have done a little bit better in this category. I guess that with me being so far away, it was hard for me to keep up the close connections I had with everyone before I left. It happens, maybe we can all pick back up again where we left off when I come. I hope so.
Friends here: This was a bit of a struggle-I had to start from square one. I met a lot of cool people, some of whom turned out not to be so cool. Needless to say, we aren't exactly friends anymore. I feel like I have made a lot of close friends though, people that I know I can count on. It felt weird knowing that pretty much the rest of my graduating class was at CP and could still hang out from time to time, but come to think about it, I've really branched out with the type of people that I'm friends with down here.
Socially: I'm a little torn on this aspect. On one hand, I know that I could have spent a little more time out with my friends down here rather than working. But on the other hand, school is important to me, and I still found a lot of time to hang out with people. I had a good balance. Some people balanced their own social lives and schoolwork a bit differently than I did, and criticized me for it, but the way that I did it certainly works the best for me.
Family: I feel like I've gotten closer to all of them because I don't have to see them everyday. Now more than ever I respect everything that they've done for me and everything that they've given up to help me grow.
Me: This was probably the hardest part about college. I've struggled with myself for most of the four months I've been here. My insecurities, fears, dreams, everything. I feel like I am a stronger, more mature person than who I was when I first got here. So at least I accomplished that goal. I just wish that I had retained the same self-confidence I had when I moved in. I know that will all come back to me in time as I continue to adjust next semester.
Chris (saved the best for last): I think that to say that the past four months have been a rollarcoaster would be a fair assessment. One thing is for sure though, I love him more than ever. Not seeing him everyday has made me appreciate him that much more. He works so hard and gives up so much to see me. I can't even begin to thank him enough for that. There were times this semester when I became very frusterated with myself and my own issues, to the point where I took it out on him. I realize now that I wasn't being fair. I care about him so much, and I never meant to hurt him the way that I did sometimes. I was stupid and immature, but I've learned my lesson and grown from it. He has been the biggest constant I have in my life, without a doubt. Without him, I couldn't have done as well as I did down here. He's the person I go to when I need to vent or have a good cry, and he makes me feel better. I'm really looking forward to spending my holiday break with him.
Overall: I can't tell myself that it was a horrible experience. As many times as there were that I would have rathered to be at home, there were just as many times where I had a blast down here. Looking back on this semester will definitely give me some great memories, some times I'd rather forget, but overall I view everything as a time that helped me grow up a little more with a few shadows here and there, and what's life without a few shadows amidst a lot of light?
School-wise: I did a lot better than I expected to. No procrastination (for the most part!) and I'm fairly sure that I'm going to pull out some decent grades. Most of my professors were amazing, very helpful, very knowledgeable. Academically speaking, I have no doubt that I belong here. I fit in well with my classes. I didn't feel obligated to speak up too often but when I did, I made it count.
Friends back home: I know I could have done a little bit better in this category. I guess that with me being so far away, it was hard for me to keep up the close connections I had with everyone before I left. It happens, maybe we can all pick back up again where we left off when I come. I hope so.
Friends here: This was a bit of a struggle-I had to start from square one. I met a lot of cool people, some of whom turned out not to be so cool. Needless to say, we aren't exactly friends anymore. I feel like I have made a lot of close friends though, people that I know I can count on. It felt weird knowing that pretty much the rest of my graduating class was at CP and could still hang out from time to time, but come to think about it, I've really branched out with the type of people that I'm friends with down here.
Socially: I'm a little torn on this aspect. On one hand, I know that I could have spent a little more time out with my friends down here rather than working. But on the other hand, school is important to me, and I still found a lot of time to hang out with people. I had a good balance. Some people balanced their own social lives and schoolwork a bit differently than I did, and criticized me for it, but the way that I did it certainly works the best for me.
Family: I feel like I've gotten closer to all of them because I don't have to see them everyday. Now more than ever I respect everything that they've done for me and everything that they've given up to help me grow.
Me: This was probably the hardest part about college. I've struggled with myself for most of the four months I've been here. My insecurities, fears, dreams, everything. I feel like I am a stronger, more mature person than who I was when I first got here. So at least I accomplished that goal. I just wish that I had retained the same self-confidence I had when I moved in. I know that will all come back to me in time as I continue to adjust next semester.
Chris (saved the best for last): I think that to say that the past four months have been a rollarcoaster would be a fair assessment. One thing is for sure though, I love him more than ever. Not seeing him everyday has made me appreciate him that much more. He works so hard and gives up so much to see me. I can't even begin to thank him enough for that. There were times this semester when I became very frusterated with myself and my own issues, to the point where I took it out on him. I realize now that I wasn't being fair. I care about him so much, and I never meant to hurt him the way that I did sometimes. I was stupid and immature, but I've learned my lesson and grown from it. He has been the biggest constant I have in my life, without a doubt. Without him, I couldn't have done as well as I did down here. He's the person I go to when I need to vent or have a good cry, and he makes me feel better. I'm really looking forward to spending my holiday break with him.
Overall: I can't tell myself that it was a horrible experience. As many times as there were that I would have rathered to be at home, there were just as many times where I had a blast down here. Looking back on this semester will definitely give me some great memories, some times I'd rather forget, but overall I view everything as a time that helped me grow up a little more with a few shadows here and there, and what's life without a few shadows amidst a lot of light?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home